Login or create an account
Want to make an edit to this page? Log in or register, and you can contribute right away!
Masks play an important role in Sarkan culture; these artifacts function as conduits to their spiritual self, although few become physically manifest. The masks themselves must be crafted by the individual who uses them as they are a reflection of their inner soul. While some masks from great heroes have been passed down from time to time, these items exhibit great power and what some may consider a mind of their own. Masks come in many shapes, colors and represent different aspects of an individual, a few common themes have been recorded by outsiders.
Mask of Rage:
- Provides a competence bonus on Intimidate checks
- When worn by a character with the rage ability the mask manifests and projects the anger and fury of the individual outward toward his enemies. During a rage, while the mask is equipped, the wearer may initiate a free intimidate check against any target they strike. A target is subject to this ability only once per day whether the attempt fails or succeeds
- Value = TBD
Mask of Shadows:
- Provides a competence bonus on Stealth checks
- When worn by a character it grants the ability to vanish from sight. Once per day, as a standard action, the wearer may cast Greater Invisibility on himself as per the spell as a 7th level caster.
- Value = 10080GP
Mask of Sight:
- Provides a competence bonus on Perception checks
- When worn the mask grants the ability to find even the most hidden of magical secrets. Once per day the wearer may cast True Seeing as per the spell.
- Value = 16200GP
Mask of Leadership:
- Provides a competence bonus on Diplomacy checks
- When worn, the mask grants the ability to bolster one's allies. Three times per day as a standard action the wearer may give a rallying cry to his allies. All allies within 30 feet who are able to hear the wearer gain a +3 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and attack and weapon damage rolls. This effect lasts for 5 rounds.
- Value = TBD
Mask of Battle:
- Provides a competence bonus on Acrobatics checks
- When worn the mask improves battle prowess, enhancing the natural ability of the wearer to supernatural levels. The mask holds 3 charges, as a free action the character may speak the command word to active the mask. The character may spend 1 charge to gain an additional swift action, 2 charges for an additional move action or 3 charges for an additional standard action. The action gained by this must be taken first before any others, if not the action is lost.
- Value = TBD
Mask of the Witchdoctor:
- Provides a competence bonus on Heal checks
- Know for their ability to heal the dying or wound their enemies, this mask allows the wearer to channel energy just as the witchdoctors for which it is named. The mask provides the following spells:
- 3/day Cure Moderate Wounds (3rd level caster)
- 1/day Cure Lesser Restoration
- 1/day Remove Disease
- 1/day Remove Blindness/Deafness
- Value = 19710GP
Because Masks are an extension of the character they will grow more powerful with the character. Each Mask grows over the course of three levels:
- Provide a standard skill bonus of +2 to the corresponding skill.
- Provide a +5 bonus to the corresponding skill
- Provides fortification, light.
- Unlocks a special ability corresponding to the type of mask. (See "Mask Types")
In order to create a mask a character must first have an understanding of Sarkan culture, either by being a member of the tribe or having earned great trust with a tribe’s member. The crafting process takes 24 hours which must be consecutive as the character is literally creating a conduit for their soul. The cost is dependent on the level of mask being created:
- Base masks have a value of 900GP
- Lesser masks have a value of 4000GP
- Greater masks value varies depending on the mask type. (See "Mask Types")
The craft check is a DC20 and the character may add the skill modifier of their choosing to the check, the mask created is dependent on the skill chosen as it reflects the characters nature. A cost of 500GP is required for material components to construct the mask, this is in addition to the cost of the level of mask being created (See Base, Lesser and Greater masks). Finally a character must have reached a development within themselves in order to manifest their spirit; Base masks have no requirement for creating, Lesser masks require at least 6 character levels in order to create, Greater masks require at least 12 character levels in order to create. In addition masks must be created in succession, meaning masks must be upgraded from a lower form of themselves, Base to Lesser to Greater.